Will Homeowners Insurance Cover Water Damage and Flooding?

March 14, 2024 Uncategorized

Article by David Selter

When examining your home insurance policy, it is important to note the difference between water and flood damage. Water damage is generally covered by your homeowners’ insurance policy and protects you in situations like a leak or burst pipe. Flood damage is defined as a general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of two or more acres and two or more properties of normally dry land. With flood damage, the water comes from a natural source and two or more properties are involved.

Home insurance companies do not offer flood insurance and policies must be obtained through the National Flood Insurance Program. This means that homeowners who are unprotected and experience flood damage have to pay for water damage restoration out of pocket, which can mean thousands of dollars in expenses.

Water damage mitigation does not have to be a painful process! Check your policy and ensure that you are protected in the event of a disaster. Call DryMore for your water or flood damage needs at 281-930-0100. We talk to your insurance company for you and make sure you are informed every step of the way.